Thursday, May 10, 2018

You Are Mine Tonight (From a Mother's Heart)


You are weak, fragile tonight

As you rest your little head,

At your loving mother’s breast;

Your tiny hands 

Cling to me in trust;

Your unblinking eyes,

Are raw, unclouded;

They hide no secrets,

They seek no answers,

But only stare softly,

In childish vulnerability;


Yet there will come a day

When I gaze into your eyes,

And see deep pools that flow

Into the hollows of your soul;

Of hurts and aches,

Love and ambition,

To which I do not belong;


So tonight as you rest your head

On my loving breast,

I’ll take your little hand,

Childish, soft and round,

Place it against my heart,

So that it’s warmth and love

Shall sink through flesh,

To leave an imprint

Of your cherished babyhood,

On my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment