Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Coming of Age



Soon I'll be a woman, no longer a child,
The safe havens of childhood will cease to be mine;
People to love me and shelter from the night,
Mouths to speak for me and wisdom to guide,
Hands that shield me from the danger outside,
And hearts to heal me from the hurts of life.

Soon I'll be a woman, no longer a child
And the long lanes of future lie before my eyes;
Every highway in darkness, each alley clouded by fog
Danger lurks at every turn and the night is unknown;
Yet I must break through the fog and the mists,
To seize the dream that God has willed.

Whatever it may, some destiny is mine,
And I will wield it with courage and pride;
I am weak and my dreams are wild,
But youthful hope is still mine.
Is faith enough, will vision sustain me,
During the dark, hopeless nights?

What is this feeling, so hard to describe,
Of fear mingled with wistful hope;
Something calls and I must follow,
Yet what I answer, I do not know;
So blindly I go, let faith be my safety,
My guide be the dreams I have known.

But suddenly the highway is lighted up,
And the alleys are flooded with light,
A voice breaks the silence of the night;
"Do not go blindly, I will be your vision
Forever, your safety and guide !"
Then peace is mine and my heart whispers, 
"Lord, lead me where I must go !"

No comments:

Post a Comment